Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I'd sell you out for a starship

In the news is one very naughty scientist who was trapped trying to sell state secrets to the Israelis - although no actual Israelis were involved, and the operation was a sting.

Well, that got me thinking. I'm a bit contrary on this. Generally speaking, I think it's extremely poor taste to spy on your own country, especially if you were born, raised and educated there.

On the other hand, I'd sell out the entire human race for a starship from some advanced alien life forms. Not that I'm any position to hand over privledged information (and as a result of this blog entry, probably never ever will be).

Why would I defect to the side of the aliens, you didn't ask? Haven't I watched enough alien invasion movies to know that we're always in the right, and aliens are either / or / and the following:

a) Strange parasites that (orally) rape you to impregnate you with disgusting chest-bursting creatures... Alien

b) Strange hunters that carve you up in the South American (or concrete) jungles for sport, and pleasure... Predator

c) Resource hungry invaders who strip planets of all goodness before moving onto the next one... Independence Day

d) Scientology-inspired creeps who want to enslave us... Battlefield Earth

e) ET The most TERRIFYING MOVIE of ALL TIME

Except for perhaps a) and e), the silver screen aliens aren't that dissimilar from us (though as far as a) is concerned, I think you'd find in rural areas, other species have good reason to fear us). Yes, the pathologically terrifying monsters we see on TV are actually external representations of our very own dark nature (with d) being Tom Cruise).

Also, it's propaganda. Haven't you learnt to distrust Hollywood by now? Shame on you!

How could aliens possibly be worse? For one thing, if they actually managed to get to a stage of technological development capable of travelling between star systems, there's a good chance they've got some sort of stable society. Ours certainly isn't.

At the rate we're going, with the wars, economic and political corruption, the short-termed self-interest at the expense of society in the longer term, etc etc, we'll be lucky if we create truly artifical intelligence - which will then do us a huge favour and enslave us (or destroy us, whatever works for them), for the greater good.

And in any case, if I get my hands on a starship, I can go forth and see if there's any intelligent life out there.

I have my doubts if there's any here.

1 comment: